Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity, Sister Mary Ann Spanjers, interacted with over 80 Xavier High School, Appleton, WI, junior girls for a vocation session during a recent retreat day. It was an opportunity to find out first hand who these young Catholic women admire and why.
Here is a summary of the responses to this important question from the young women themselves:
Who do you admire? Why?
- Mom: because she is my Mom, good role model, does the right thing, is strong, positive and extremely kind to everyone, always there for me, has overcome so much
- Grandma: helped raise me
- Mom and Dad: trustworthy, strong, happy, show love without hesitation, work hard to support family
- Anyone who is accepting of others and is genuine
- My Dad: has a lot of common sense and is determined, strong in faith and is a true person, has worked his way up despite hardships, gives me advice and is there whenever I need help, positive outlook on life, rock of our family
- My older sister because she is strong, independent and incredibly nice
- When I’m with people I enjoy and I can see the good in my life
- Parents and grandparents
These were the more popular answers. Here are few other candid responses:
- My friend’s sister because she is successful, fun and happy
- A.- who can get along with anyone
- B.- who is a wonderful person, open to new ideas and always accepting
- My brother, he never gives up and is determined to reach his goals
- My aunts because they are good people
- C.-he is ridiculously patient.
- My religion teacher-he is one of the few people I know that I can always rely on
- D. because she cares
- People who do their best all the times
- Grandpa: does what he thinks is right
- Jesus, his awesome love never ends
- Friends: they are strong and beautiful
- People who know who they are and stay that way without being in your face
- My sisters, they are amazing women
- My sister…she’s awesome
- Grandparents because they have been married for a long time and still love each other.
How would you answer this question?