Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity hold a ‘health workshop’ each year in the summer for our Sisters. This year Sister Roberta (Bobbie) Doneth, a Sister of Saint Francis of Penance and Charity from Tiffin, OH, was invited to present on Sisters in Christ with All of Creation. Sister Bobbie serves as a retreat leader, spiritual director and a Franciscan speaker out of Canton, OH.
Her helpful talk centered on healthy self-talk amid building a spirit of goodness and gratitude toward others. It can be summarized in seven points in reversing negative inner chatter.
- Listen critically to what you are saying to your self and how you are saying it.
- Create psychological distance from yourself.
- Fit your conversation to your goal.
- Treat yourself as a friend.
- Say ‘I don’t’, rather than ‘I can’t’.
- Pray for God’s goodness for all you love and have difficulty loving.
- Live in gratitude!