Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity Sister Mary Ann Nugent shares news about a Zanesville, Ohio 150th anniversary celebration of our Community’s founding.
The Daughters of Isabella hosted a celebration of the 150 years of service to the Church by the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity on Sunday, September 29 at St. Nicholas Church Hall in Zanesville, Ohio. Parishioners from both St. Nicholas and St. Thomas Parish, former students from St. and Nicholas and Rosecrans Schools, and local folks served by the Sisters at Good Samaritan and Genesis Hospitals gathered in a festively fall-decorated hall to extend congratulations and thanks to the Sisters. Father Martin Ralko, pastor of St. Nicholas Parish began the celebration with a prayer of thanksgiving and blessing. The Sisters presently serving at Genesis Hospital in Zanesville (Sisters Maureen Anne Shepard, Bernadette Selinsky, Mary Ann Nugent and Laura Wolf) were introduced to those assembled.
Jeff Tilton, Mayor of Zanesville, was called upon to present the four Sisters with a proclamation of thanks from the city for the many significant contributions made by the Franciscan Sisters to the education and health of Zanesville and Muskingum County for over 120 years. Expressions of congratulations and thanks were accepted by the Sisters now serving at Genesis with much gratitude and a genuine sense of humility. The first Franciscan Sisters arrived in Zanesville in 1893, and since then approximately 560 different Sisters have been missioned here.