Wednesday, August 27, 2008, almost one hundred Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity gathered with other religious, priests and representatives of the Diocese of Green Bay to pray Solemn Vespers with the Most Reverend David L. Ricken at St. John the Baptist Church, Green Bay, WI on the eve of his installation as the twelve Bishop of Green Bay.
Desiring to meet this man described as high energy, pastoral, a fair ventriloquist and most significantly as a dedicated person of deep faith, many of the Franciscan Sisters also accepted an invitation to a reception later held at Rock Garden, Green Bay.
- son of George and Bertha Ricken
- one brother, Mark and one sister, Carol
- product of Catholic education from elementary to Licentiate degree (J.C.L.) in Canon Law
- once Vocation Director for the Diocese of Pueblo
- former official of the Congregation of the Clergy at the Vatican
- ordained as a Bishop for the Diocese of Cheyenne in 2000
- serves on the U.S. Bishops’ Committee on Catechesis, Protection of Children and Young People, and more
- motto: Caritas-Sapientia-Fortifudo (Charity, Wisdom, Fortitude or Courage-three important virtues in the Bishop’s life)
Do you have any special thoughts or prayers for Bishop Ricken as he begins his ministry as the Bishop of the Diocese of Green Bay?