The Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity hosted a discernment retreat (an opportunity for young women to gather together to seriously contemplate religious life as an option in their lives) November 13-15, 2009 at their Motherhouse in Manitowoc, WI. Twelve retreatants, ages 19-36, filled out an on-line website registration form after hearing about the weekend through a conversation with one of the Franciscan Sisters, a recommendation from a priest or friend, facebook or by following a link about the retreat to the Sisters website.
Here are more than twelve reasons why the retreat was life-changing:
- twelve young women who shared themselves (with varied experiences as students, teachers, cartographer, restaurant managers, catechists, youth ministry volunteer, peace and justice leaders, etc.)
- opportunity for ‘real’ face to face friends from IA, MN, LA, Washington D.C. and WI
- personal interaction with four young women who are in the process of becoming Sisters as Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity who are themselves ages 22-31
- sessions on St. Francis and St. Clare focused on the theme of Gospel Living
- time for private and communal prayer (Morning and Evening prayer, sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation)
- music outreach at the Saturday evening Eucharistic Liturgy at Sacred Heart Parish, Appleton, WI with other retreatants and Franciscan Sisters (home parish of novice, Sister Chiara LaValley, OSF)
- good conversation
- safe possibilities for reflective hiking on Motherhouse grounds and trails in nearby woods
- sit down meals together
Any other thoughts?