Desiring quality time to reflect during the current liturgical season, three different groupings of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity on three different March days participated in Lenten Musings (Called to Drink the Cup?). Referencing Henri M.J. Nouwen, Sister Anne Marie Lom, OSF wove Scripture references (e.g. Mk 10:38), personal stories and helpful authors in presentations on the theme. In addition, the prayer day schedule included Community Morning Prayer and Eucharist and plenty of time for personal prayer, reflection or rest.
The three prayer sessions were titled:
- The Cup of Suffering
- The Cup of Forgiveness
- The Cup of Ordinary Life
‘The Cup’ represents the story of our lives. Francis might have referred to it as ‘The Cup of Incarnation’, a life fully immersed in reality. More than gulping quickly, we were encouraged to hold, lift and drink the cup of our lives.
Pray with us this Lenten examen, (Can You Drink the Cup?), a source for self- reflection some time each day:
- I acknowledge I am in God’s Presence.
- I am full of gratitude for …
- Some of my feelings throughout the day were…
- An important incident of today was…and I pray: (intercession, praise, repentence or gratitude)
- I look forward to tomorrow with… (anticipation, worry, hope, fear, etc.)
What has inspired you this Lent?