How Tucson Catholic Cathedral Inspires Faithful Through Artforms

Paul Keggington

April 26, 2011

As the Roman Catholic Church anticipates the beatification of yet another person of faith (John Paul II) on May 1, 2011, Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity share photos of sacred and significant saintly artforms represented in recent extensive renovations of St. Augustine Cathedral, Tucson, AZ.  A beautiful, peace-filled place of prayer, the Cathedral’s impressive statues of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, St. Katherine Drexel, St. Juan Diego and Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha  (more contemporary witnesses of holiness) inspire the faithful of the Diocese of Tucson and are at home in this glowing gold house of God. (Photos: Sister Louise Hembrecht)

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity were present for the rededication of St. Augustine Cathedral, Tucson AZ which now houses statues of St. Juan Diego and Blessed Kateri Tekakawitha.

Interesting fact: On March 22, 1896 Bishop Peter Bourgade laid the cornerstone of the new St. Augustine Cathedral at 192 Stone Avenue. He bought the square block in 1885 for $400.

Renovations also include:

  •  the Cathedral’s historic painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe in its new home near the retablo that houses St. Juan Diego and Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha.
  • a mural of the Good Shepherd tending His sheep high on the back wall of the sanctuary.
  • a Pamplona crucifix carbon dated to the mid-12th century and painstakingly restored by art conservators Tohono O’odham Tim Lewis and Maltide Rubio over a 6 month period which hangs on the back wall of the sanctuary. (Watch this refurbishing video.)

All you holy saints of God pray for us.